Tuesday, November 8, 2016

What a nice tragedy

It has been quite the life these past few days. As I mentioned before, I am abroad in France until the end of December for studies. I love this place regardless of what happened to me, but man! So, my iPhone 6 Plus was stolen last Wednesday night, but the thing is that it was stolen right out of my hand! haha, what in the world right?

Casual evening, I had just hung out with my friends. I ride the tram to get back to my dorm, and when I get off the tram, I literally walk around a block and a half, when out of nowhere these two guys pop out of the dark and approach me. Now, keep in mind that it is kind of late, on a week day. I was literally across the street from one of my university's buildings, a building that on the other side of it, is across the street from my dorm.

Anyway, I am jamming to my music, and these two guys start speaking french to me, so I pull my phone out and pause my music. I immediately recognize these guys, and start saying how I remember them from the other day. Around the corner is a Kebab restaurant and I had seen them in front of the restaurant. I told them I remembered them from the other day by the Kebab, but I believe they didn't understand me, just like I didn't understand what they were saying to me in that moment. I believe they wanted to sell me drugs, but I was not sure. Note, this whole time my phone was in my hand. During this little one minute interaction with no comprehension between both parties, one of the guys, quickly and unexpectedly snatches my phone out of my hand and starts sprinting.

This moment was very shocking and confusing to me because I thought these guys were just regular high school/college kids that lived around the area, but I was wrong, and was not careful enough. He snatched the phone out of my hand and I looked up, and he was across the street sprinting away. I immediately for some reason reacted some what fast, and I started sprinting and chasing him down the road. I was able to chase him for around four blocks, but I ended up losing him. When I turned the corner on a street, he was not there anymore. This whole time, I was in jeans, wearing sperrys that were almost falling out of my feet, and had a huge jacket on. Not to mention the fact that I had just finished drinking with my friends.

I put my phone on lost mode as soon as I got into my dorm, I also went to the police, but not much luck so far. Nevertheless, even though it was a sad, and very upsetting event, I have taken a good approach to this situation. Yes, I don't have a phone to communicate with people from anywhere, nor can I take pictures, or be on snapchat, etc. I also lost all my pictures coming from two years back, as well as my music material, and honestly I just lost so much personal information, that I stupidly never backed up. This is all a tragedy, but it is a relief simultaneously because I get to detach myself from this device that almost seemed like part of my body. I feel more free and connected with life around me when I walk, or when I hang out with people. Yes, I will soon get another phone, but this period without a phone has really made me think about how I should enjoy the things around me, and forget about my phone when I truly don't need it. Sometimes you should listen to what people are thinking, take a glance and not a picture, listen to the birds not the music through your earphones, talk to the person in front of you
and not the one on the screen.

Embrace your difficult moments, battle your negative emotions, and turn that into fuel to light up hope inside of you. To come out as a stronger person with thicker skin, better prepared for the hardships of life. More optimistic, and as a stronger leader who knows how to stand up after she/he has fallen. There is always a bright side in life, you just have to turn your heart towards it.

Happy Tuesday, be careful and don't let people steal your phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment